Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Guest Blogger--Scott Muskin

I read recently at Common Good and even on St. Patty’s Day it was a gathering of literature lovers to make the heart leap. Writers tend to dwell in solitude and, at least for most of us, in obscurity as well. I am fortunate enough to have a publisher with at least some marketing/PR budget, but when it comes down to it, I too am merely putting words onto paper and hoping for someone to read them. Where are our meeting houses, our trailheads? Coffee shops are great, but also somehow lacking. It’s book stores that sate our communal hunger for writers and readers to mingle, interact, and advance our creative consciousness—and it’s been so long since I’ve spent time in a truly literate, unmitigated bookstore like Common Good that I had forgotten what it was like. It’s like heaven, is what it’s like. And reading at such a place puts a big fat nail through my forehead on onto the literary map. You were here. Feels wonderful, and I am so grateful for the opportunity.
--Scott Muskin
Scott is the author of The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson: Mama's Boy and Scholar

No comments: